Why Fall Lawn Prep Makes For Healthier Grass in the Spring
As the saying goes, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Doing some simple preparation in the cooler Fall months will help you achieve that lush green lawn quicker and easier in the Spring. With cooler air and warm soil during the late Fall, conditions are perfect for planting grass seed as well as fertilizing. Preparing early helps allow grass to build deep roots during the winter, and is key for a better looking lawn later.
Fertilizers such as Scotts Turf Builder WinterGuard Fall Lawn Food help rejuvenate grass from the hot and dry summer conditions. It is nutrient rich and helps your lawn absorb more water. If weeds thrive in your yard, using Scotts Turf Builder WinterGuard Fall Weed & Feed will provide nutrients, but also keep weeds, like dandelions, under control.
Lawn Fertilizing Tips For Fall:
- Fertilize in early fall, and then again 6 to 8 week later.
- Apply fertilizer when temperatures are 60 to 90 degrees.
- Give your lawn a good watering a day or two before fertilizing.
- Always use a lawn spreader and adjust the settings based on the fertilizer package instructions.
- Apply around the perimeter first so you don’t miss any edges, then focus on the middle by overlapping your line with each pass.
- Make sure to read the application instructions on the package. Some fertilizers instruct you not to water for at least 24 hours after application, where other types recommend a light watering.
- Seal the bag well and store any unused fertilizer in a cool, dry place.
Taking a small amount of time in the fall to prep your lawn for winter will save you lots of time next spring!