New Year’s Resolutions for Your Home
Here are 10 ideas for your home that might make this year a little brighter and happier and even help you save some money.
- Lose weight! In your home that is. Focus on cutting the clutter in and around your home. Apply the two-month rule to your closet. If you haven’t worn it, looked at it or thought about it in two months, then donate it.
- Install a Wi-Fi-enabled thermostat. These units help conserve energy and provide temperature information, air quality and more. You can control them from a smart device or even with your voice, depending on the device.
- Increase your home security with wireless cameras and doorbells. These are super easy to install and can help you keep track of your entire home, inside and out. There are even wireless security systems that link the cameras and make protecting your home even more affordable.
- Choose a greener way of living in your home. Consider using environmentally positive cleaners in your home. There are many different products out there that use no harsh chemicals that work. In fact, a product like E-Cloth uses only cloth and water. Its fine fibers instantly clean and dry shiny surfaces sparkling. No chemicals needed!
- Reseal your stone counters in your kitchen and bathrooms. If you have stone counters, they need to be resealed every 18 months or so. Test your stone by placing a quarter-size water drop on the counter. If it gets absorbed in 30 minutes or so, then you need to reseal. Clean the counters, re-caulk as needed, then apply the sealer per the manufacturer’s instructions. Stay off the counters for about two hours and then you are good to go.
- Paint or wallpaper an accent wall. There are places in everyone’s homes that need a little update and an accent color or beautiful wallpaper. It’s inexpensive and can be done in as little as one day.
- Go cordless this year. If you maintain your lawn and garden, make your life easier and help the environment with battery-powered lawnmowers, blowers, chainsaws and more. The technology has come a long way and these products work well without using fuel or releasing emissions. Look for an outdoor power system like EGO that runs on the same battery, so you can interchange the battery and keep your outdoor projects moving.
- Expand your food horizons by trying different cooking methods. From grills, like the Big Green Egg, to outdoor ovens, like Ooni, you’ll gain more meal options and wow guests with unique flavors.
- Update the look of your kitchen. Paint the cabinets with a chalk-based paint. Add new hardware to the doors. Consider a new countertop or a new suite of appliances. You’ll love the look and added value to your home.
- If you can only choose one thing to focus on, focus on the most expensive items to replace. Give things like your roof or windows some attention. For your roof, carefully examine it for loose or missing shingles. Clean your gutters so your roof doesn’t take on unnecessary moisture. For your windows, make sure the frames are in good condition. Caulk any areas that are open. Moisture can damage the frames.