How do I sharpen a lawn mower blade?
If you’re not familiar with using a blade balancer, let a professional sharpen your blades for you. Simply bring your mower into your local Westlake and we’ll have the job done in no time. If you are familiar with blade balancers:
- Remove the spark plug wire to disengage the engine and prevent injury.
- Loosen and remove the nut holding your blade in place.
- Remove the blade.
- Use a file and sharpen the blade by following the angle of the edge. Your blade should be filed to a 45-degree angle.
- File each blade the same number of times. Filing them differently results in an off-balance blade.
- Reattach the blade and securely tighten the nut.
- Balance the blade using a blade balancer.
- Replace the spark plug and start the mower.
- If the lawn mower vibrates, the blades aren’t balanced. You’ll need to file a little of the heavier side and try again.
Check your state and local codes before starting any project. Follow all safety precautions. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy and safety of this information. Neither Westlake nor any contributor can be held responsible for damages or injuries resulting from the use of the information in this document.