Carbon Monoxide Safety

The dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) gas have been far too apparent over the years, as countless deaths occur annually as a result of CO inhalation. Without the proper detection equipment, there's virtually no way you'd be aware that this colorless, odorless, tasteless gas was affecting you and your family.

Scientifically speaking, carbon monoxide is caused by the incomplete combustion of carbon containing compounds in circumstances where oxygen supply is limited. In other words, low oxygen in the combustion (burning) environment prevents the gaseous byproduct from being turned into carbon dioxide (CO2), and if you're breathing air right now, you know CO2 is not as dangerous as CO.

The most common 'offenders' in the creation of this dangerous gas are all around us: exhaust from cars and other motor vehicles with internal combustion engines, wood-burning stoves, portable camping stoves and other propane-fueled equipment, even house fires.

Invest in a CO detector for your home, keep it up-to-date with battery changes, and listen to it... if the alarm sounds, take it seriously.

Credit:  Lou Manfredini's Tips From the Tool Box, Ace Hardware

Check your state and local codes before starting any project. Follow all safety precautions. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy and safety of this information. Neither Westlake nor any contributor can be held responsible for damages or injuries resulting from the use of the information in this document.

What's on Sale

What's on Sale

Find out what's on sale at your local Westlake.

See Ads & Specials »

Panel of Pros

Panel of Pros

Get helpful advice and tips from our panel of pros.

VIEW TIPS »